Okay before we begin with this easy to cook Moroccan inspired delicious recipe let me just say that you do not need to go out and buy a traditional tagine to make this tasty meal.
I use a large wide pan with a lid and that is all but you can use a tagine if you are wise enough to own one (they make very tasty meals).
The beauty of this recipe – it’s a ‘one-pot’ recipe which means less washing up and prep time is minimal – excellent for busy bodies.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of salt, pepper or both
- 1 tbsp honey
- 150 ml water
- 400g carrots cut into sticks (I leave the skin on by scrubbing them clean)
- To serve: small bunch of parsley roughly chopped and lemon wedges
Here’s an example of when I used chicken breast cut into chunks:
How to Make Chicken Tagine
Heat the oil in a large wide pan with a lid (or tagine)
Add the chicken to fry both sides until slightly browned.
Add the onion and ginger to fry for another two minutes.
Add the water, turmeric, honey and carrots – salt and pepper to taste stirring everything in well.
Bring to the boil, cover tightly, then simmer for 30 mins until the chicken is tender.
Uncover and turn up the heat for five minutes to reduce the sauce.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
- Serve chicken tagine with couscous for a healthy addition to bulk out your tasty meal.
- Add 425g of drained chickpeas about 10 minutes before the end of the simmering period for an additional healthy bulk